Sunday, October 22, 2006

The safest place on earth...

Larry Crabb wrote a book titled, "The Safest Place on Earth." I have used parts of the book several times for adult and youth presentations. When I speak of the book and it's subject, the church, I often tell a story of a young man who found the church to be just that - the safest place on earth for him.

The young man grew up in "the church," but as he became older, became further and futher distanced from the place, the people and the God he had known as a boy. The pastor of his home church came into the sanctuary one morning to find the young man asleep under one of the pews. Recognizing him, the pastor woke him and asked why he was there. The young man replied that he was in deep trouble, he was desperate, and that church was the only place he knew where he had ever been completely safe.

I thought of Crabb's book today and this story because of something that happened in my church. As I was leaving worship, I heard someone say that a wallet was missing from one of the choir members' purse. Then another. Then another. I stopped and checked my own purse - no wallet. Altogether 5 ladies' wallets had been stolen from purses kept in the bottom of the closet of the choir room during worship. Drivers' licenses, insurance cards, cash, credit cards and in a couple of instances, car keys. All gone.

Many years ago, I had had some video tapes taken from my car during a Wednesday night choir practice. I was absolutely furious. I ranted and raved for many days - if not aloud, in my head and heart. This time is different. I am concerned because the person has my home address and a key to my husband's car. I am slightly agrivated that I will have to go stand in line at the DMV for probably what will be a long time to get a new license. The Driver's License can be replaced, the debit card cancelled, but a car is a different matter. I say I am concerned and that is it. I have been inconvenienced, but I am not furious as before. I don't wish harm to come to the person who brought an act of violence into my church, invaded my privacy and stole my property - like I did before. I realize that we are all safe and all that was taken can be replaced.

We are all safe.

I am not sure all of the other ladies agree with me.

No comments: