Friday, April 20, 2007

Close the door

"There is nowhere to go, and nowhere to hide. "

B wrote the above on her blog in response to the Virginia Tech tragedy (I refuse to use the terminology used by the media - it is just too hard). As I read it, I remembered when I was looking for somewhere to go, to hide, to find a place of complete silence from the world around me, a place where there was no struggle, no hurt.

Some would say a person could find that place inside themselves through meditation and prayer. Some would say that place could be found in a church. Perhaps out in the midst of God's creation - in nature or on the paths of a labyrinth. I found it in none of these places. I found it behind that closed door that the writer of Matthew speaks of. I literally went into my bedroom, shut the door, went into my closet and shut that door.

On my knees in that dark place, I found that all the clothes, shoes, luggage and other "stuff" provided a sound barrier between myself and the "world." I still had to come out and face it all, but for that brief moment, in that most unusual place, I found a place where I could hear what I needed to hear and shut out the rest.

Today, I think I will go back home, go into my closet and pray that everyone else will find theirs.


"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:6

No comments: