Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Blinders

Sometimes it is hard to see a thing when you are right in the middle of it. Several times lately, I have seen beams of sunlight bursting through the clouds - very distinct rays of light making their way through the sky. Until yesterday. It was a sunny day as I drove home and I looked up into the sky to see those beams, but there were none. I didn't understand why - after all, it was a bright sunny day! Then, I realized that I felt the warmth of the sun on my body through the car window. I was surrounded by the sunshine! I was right smack dab in the middle of it and didn't recognize it! It made me realize something.

All this time, I had been relating those rays of light to God's presence and grace. Everytime I saw them, it was as if God was saying, "Karen, I am right here."

Just because God's presence and grace are not majestically visible to me does not mean they are not there. If I but look and pay attention, I will find that I am always right smack dab in the middle of them.

No comments: