Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Boldness

The preacher shared his surprise at finding out that even with all the churches in our area, there are still many people who are "un-churched." "Doesn't that surprise you?" he asked. I sat there shaking my head both as answer to his question, but also because I couldn't believe he was so naive. The man is somewhere in his latter 70's. He is an educated minister having served several different congregations from various parts of the country. He has served on national committees for the denomination. Could he really believe that the majority of the people he meets throughout our area are Christian? Does he really think that the number of churches has anything to do with the spreading of the Gospel?

The setting was a Sunday School class consisting of maybe 3/4 of the active members of our congregation. The average age - probably at least 70. The lesson is based on Acts 4, the discussion centers on the boldness of the disciples - even though they were threatened, they continue to preach the Gospel of Jesus. The teacher asks, "Who in this room considers themselves to be bold when it comes to talking about the church?" Two people raise their hands. One a man considered to be a radical in the church, a physician who puts literal translations of scripture to test with his scientific knowledge. The other a man who is fairly new to the Christian faith. A woman comments, "Maybe it has something to do with the way we were raised. Back then, you just didn't do those things."

I sat there with these people who have helped me to become the person I am today; who have played a major part in my growth as a Christian. These people who have been to me the only "church family" I have ever really known. I hear them discuss "talking about the church," and I see them struggle. These faithful people who know that there is more that they should be doing and are encumbered with the weight of their physical limitations as well as a hesitancy to speak that has been etched into their beings. I share with the class that there is a group of young people who are coming into leadership within the church who are not hesitant to speak, who have no problem sharing their beliefs with others. I also tell them that the boldness of these young people has at times led me to try to instruct them in the ways of tact and respect for others, (Ah, yes, those brash young people!) Then, I tell them, that what really happens is that those young people instruct me. They remind me that tact and respect should never interfere with sharing the truth.

The preacher sits, smiles and nods. I am a southern woman, so I think to myself, "He is so clueless, bless his heart."

No comments: