Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Sambo

Sam Conner never ceases to amaze me. This man who experienced D-Day first hand can share some of the most amazing things with me. Even now, when he is "showing his age," he says some very profound things. Tonight at church, he stopped me as I was coming out of choir practice. He had D-Day on his mind. "I saw a bunch of those guys on the golf course," he said. "They all had flags. I said, "Why do you have those flags? Everyone has American flags! Don't you know that Hitler had a whole case of 'em? Those flags cover things up. They cover up what is in here! (as he pulls aside his sweater vest and places his hand over his heart.)"

As I related this to another friend from church, he said, "Sam is in another world nowadays."
I think Sam knows exactly where he is and what he is saying. And I also think he is right.

As I write this, I think about the song "This little light of mine," especially the verse, "Hide it under a bushel? NO!" Sam doesn't want us to hide what is in our hearts under the flag.

I saw a commercial today for some "lite" drink. The music in the background was a chorus singing "This little light of mine." Of course they meant, "This little "lite" of mine," but I couldn't help but be a little offended by it. Does that make me seem old and dotty? Because I get offended by commercials who use music I sing in church to sell their product? Or is it just another example of taking something out of context and using it for gain? Whatever, I didn't like it. I would rather apply the song to Sam and his opinion of the flag wearers.

No comments: