Friday, September 22, 2006

Divinity revealed

I sat working on a prayer shawl while also watching a dvd of Dena Pence Frantz's theological study at NOAC 2006. At a certain part of the presentation, Frantz speaks of icons and their place in the history of the church. She says that the group will look at "how the artistic drive to portray the divine presence of God is a spiritual quest." Frantz explains how the artists had to contend with the questions "how is the divine revealed in physical earthly things?" and how can we depict something we may see and yet something that is beyond our capacity to see?

As I sat working on that shawl, I related somewhat to those Bizentine artists. My desire to create the shawl is somewhat of a spiritual quest. I want to bring the presence of God to another through the warmth and comfort of the shawl; to bring the knowledge that they are cared for and loved; to bring to them the hope and peace that is God. I also have found that the presence of God is with me as I create the shawls. I pray that my heart would be right with God before and while I am working; find that I feel a sense of peace within my own being; find my heart filled with compassion and love for the person to whom the shawl may go - whether I know them or not.

My prayer is that these physical earthly bits of yarn would reveal some of the divine to both the receiver and myself and bring about a desire to seek that which is beyond our capacity to see.

No comments: