Sunday, July 24, 2005

Evangelism

I am enrolled in a class on Evangelism to begin in August. Having already received the assigned texts, I have started reading, trying to get ahead of the game. I don't know what it is about evangelism, but I approach it with trepidation. I guess I think of the pastor of the church next door to my own who insists that if the church is to have a role in making the neighborhood a better, safer place to live, it is to go door to door preaching the good news - totally different from my own previous pastor who believed in working with the people in our neighborhood to find solutions to the problems we face just living in the same area. The image I have of evangelism is one of a Bible thumping, fire-breathing, holier-than-thou person who KNOWS what the Bible says about everything and KNOWS that I will burn forever in Hell if I don't agree with whatever the Spirit should put into his/her mouth!

I have approached the reading of the first book with the same trepidation. Even the publisher of the book gives me some concern as to the methods that may be introduced within. I hate to admit it, but I formed an opinion about this book before I even opened its cover.

Sure enough, before I complete the 1st chapter, one of the "mega churches" I am slightly familiar with and its method of evangelism is given as an example of true "servant evangelism." As a member of the Church of the Brethren, a denomination which focuses a great deal on the servanthood of Jesus Christ and our call to follow the example he sat for us, I read the material with almost a taste of disgust. I question whether the writers understand the true meaning of the word "servant."

As I finish the third chapter of the book, I remind myself that it represents the opinions of 3 persons. Just because it was chosen as a required text for the class does not mean that the opinions stated are absolute. I also remind myself that even though the writers may not know all there is to know about evangelism and/or servanthood - neither do I. Oh that I may keep reminding myself these things to the end of the book!

3 comments:

twodollarshoe said...

You sound like your daughter. Skeptical but patient, with some tradition-hubris to cover all.

Having said that, you are probably right about your impressions concerning the book. A good book to read about how to do evangelism is one written awhile back, I think it's called the Bible. Especially those sections marked Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Sarcasam aside, I also judge books by their publisher, and by the author, and what not. It's actually not a bad way to go, because there is a lot of bad stuff out there. Especially when it comes to evangelism. A lot of bad stuff.

My advice is to avoid the bad stuff. There is no value in it. Don't argue Dana. Evangelism is a serious thing, and church growth/mega-church people don't understand that. Evangelism is not a business. Also, evangelism is not a stand alone kind of operation. Whatever evangelism is, it has to take place within the church, and be done by the church. Again, the Bible might be a helpful place to start.

Why are you taking a class in evangelism? Because you want to evangelise right? Bring the good news to people, and whatnot. I think your pastors, the door to door guy, and the other one, both have mixed up ideas.

We don't bring good news to people, nor do we fix their problems. We are the good news. We are the city on the hill, the salt of the earth. We are the living, breathing community with this promise to offer the world: God is with us.

Anyway, just some thoughts...

Dana B said...

Don't be fooled, Mom. "Just some thoughts" from Jay means that he could go on and on, until 4 a.m., if you lived in the same city and could stay awake that long. Be thankful you don't and you can't. ;)

It's true that we don't know everything about evangelism and servanthood. It's also true that we, as Brethren, probably understand and value servanthood more than evangelism, which is all the more reason to learn to understand and value evangelism.

Melvin, the guru at the farm we take the refugees to every week told me last week that he believes the Gospels are clear that our servanthood creates opportunities for evangelism. Maybe it works both ways - serving and evangelizing create opportunities for each other.

But whichever one comes first, they only happen when we are in relationship with another person. That's why Pastor Johnson's door to door method doesn't work, and why David's working together does: you have to know someone to be able to serve them, and they have to know you in order to really listen and understand what you're saying while you do it.

Cat said...

oh i think i am going to like this! Karen...thanks for being the mind that will bring the thoughts of Dana and Jay together :c)